Summer Safety Tips For Pets in Houston
I know in past posts we have talked about protecting your skin from the summer sun and ways to get ready for the beach with exercises. We thought it was well overdue to talk about the safety of your loving and loyal companions as they endure the summer heat with you, so we have found some tips for pet safety in the summer in Houston. Here are some tips we found very useful for you and your pet from PetFinder.
- Don’t force your animal to exercise after a meal in hot,humid weather. Always exercise him or her in the cool of the early morning or evening.
- In extremely hot weather, don’t leave your dog standing on the street, and keep walks to a minimum. He is much closer to the hot asphalt and his body can heat up quickly. His paws can burn since they are not protected by shoes.
- Never take an animal to the beach unless you can provide a shaded spot and plenty of fresh water for her to drink. Rinse her off after she has been in salt water.
- Always provide plenty of shade for an animal staying outside the house. A properly constructed dog house serves best. Bring your dog or cat inside during the heat of the day and let her rest in a cool part of your house. Always provide plenty of cool, clean water for your animal.
- Take your companion animal to the veterinarian for a spring or early summer checkup, including a test for heartworm if your dog isn’t on year-round preventative medication. Have the doctor recommend a safe, effective flea and tick control program.
Hopefully, these tips will keep your pet healthy and happy all summer long in San Bruno. What fun plans are you making with your pet in Houston? Picnics? Visits to their favorite dog parks in Houston? Tell us in a comment. Photo Credit:
Photo Credit: dani0010